Chief Commercial Officer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Digital Identity is core to modern life. Smile Identity is changing the way Africans prove their identity online. They believe access to a digital lifestyle should not depend on one’s ID card or country of origin. By combining government ID validation with proprietary face verification, Smile offers Africa's best identity verification solution, enabling entrepreneurs and institutions to pursue rapid Pan-African growth with confidence.
Their products are used in banking, fintech, ride-sharing, worker verification, social welfare and telecom. With over 75 customers and 1M KYC checks every month, Smile Identity builds trust.
About The Role
Smile is looking to hire a Chief Commercial Officer who is an experienced commercial leader with a track record in establishing and scaling sales or business development teams. You will lead the commercial organization, grow their sales, account management and marketing functions, manage their country directors, and oversee their international expansion strategy: a mandate that covers nearly half the company.
What do you need to be considered successful?
You will draft and execute strategies that lead to the closing of commercial opportunities, supervise customer engagement while providing leadership to subordinates across different job functions. You will also be responsible for the following:
- Set the commercial strategy of Smile Identity (size the markets, identify target segments to unlock, produce salesforce plan, establish key metrics)
- Optimize their inbound leads pipeline, craft a sales methodology and hire lead qualification reps (by region or use case)
- Develop the go-to-market strategy for new markets in collaboration with the International Expansion Lead
- Manage the country managers across Africa to establish their target KPIs and produce a list of prospects for account-based sales
- Establish an account management function for large existing clients in conjunction with the Partner Success team
- Work with the Head of Marketing to design strategies that turn their customer testimonials and unique data insights into brand leadership for Smile Identity
How important are you to the bottom line?
You will be a cornerstone of the executive team. In collaboration with the co-founder and CEO, you will establish commercial goals, associated target metrics and functional requirements to achieve the vision.
The biggest problem-solving duties on the job
You will oversee quite a number of growth and maintenance initiatives on the commercial, marketing and customer experience sides and as such you would have the daunting but exciting challenge of transforming strategies you’ve planned out into tangible results that affect revenue goals.
What do you need to have done In your career?
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in sales and business development with a track record of success, preferably within a data-driven SaaS company
- Experience leading, building and managing sales teams, and developing sales processes
- Ability to design incentive structures for inbound and outbound sales teams in a fast-paced, digital, remote business environment
- Strong professional network in Africa in the telco, banking and financial services industries, including fintech; connections to regulatory agencies a plus
- Ability to travel frequently across Africa, covid-19 permitting
- A dynamic, adaptable, entrepreneurial person with strong interpersonal skills; clear thinker and communicator
What do you stand to gain?
- Competitive remuneration
- The exciting opportunity to be part of building something extraordinary
Your application has been successfully submitted.