Chief Operating Officer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Shara is building the operating system for accessing African retailers. They have developed a digital platform designed to help send receipts and invoices on SMS or WhatsApp, track who owes money, send free reminders and statements to clients. The company's platform sends free scheduled reminders, customized professional statements, and provides a free and secure wallet, enabling clients to organize and grow their businesses in a systematic manner.
About The Role
Shara is looking to hire a Chief Operating Officer who will manage the day-to-day operations and administrative functions of the organization. As a member of the senior management team, reporting only to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), you will be responsible for the effective and efficient running of the business. If you have excellent people skills, business acumen and exemplary work ethics, they’d like to meet you.
What do you need to be considered successful?
To be successful as a Chief Operating Officer, you should be a responsible leader with an analytic and strategic mind and have a broad knowledge of the business and also oversee customer service and implement technology solutions. You will be responsible for the following:
- Formulate business strategy with others in the executive team
- Design policies that align with the overall strategy
- Implement efficient processes and standards
- Coordinate customer service operations and find ways to ensure customer retention
- Ensure compliance with local and international laws (e.g. data protection)
- Oversee the implementation of technology solutions throughout the organization
- Manage contracts and relations with customers, vendors, partners and other stakeholders
- Evaluate risk and lead quality assurance efforts
- Oversee expenses and budgeting to help the organization optimize costs and benefits
- Mentor and motivate teams to achieve productivity and engagement
- Report on operational performance and suggest improvements
How Important are you to the bottom line?
As the COO, you will act as the internal traffic conductor to make sure multiple components of the business are heading in the same direction. You will define and oversee the day-to-day operational strategy for the team, measure what counts, and oversee new initiatives. From setting financial budgets to leading on new initiatives, you’re the hub of the company.
The biggest problem-solving duties on the Job
You will meet with your team once a week to drive goals, share thoughts, and grow them as contributors and people. And ensure that Shara has the best working environment by evaluating operations and implementing strategies, processes, procedures and policies.
What do you need to have done in your career?
- You’re founder quality: meaning that if you sat across the table from us and pitched an idea we’d be 100% sold on you as an entrepreneur (this is especially easy if you’ve been an entrepreneur!)
- You’re a great coach of people
- The kind of person who colour codes things, knows SMART goals, GANTT charts, etc.
- Asks good questions
- You’ve built teams of high performers, and have seen those around you continually grow and succeed because of your relationship
- You’ve been part of a scale-up that required you to oversee a multi-million dollar budget
- You’ve to lead a small team in the fintech and/or social space or related tech field
- You are from, or have worked in, emerging markets
- You’re great at communicating your ideas and listening to others
- You're well written and read
- Can move from strategic theory to the streets of Nairobi or Lagos seamlessly
- You have lots of interesting ideas that you hold to loosely and you bring them to your team
- You have managed people for at least 5 years in a relevant company or industry
- You are personally unimpeachable in values, professionalism, treatment of others
What Do you stand to Gain?
- A nearly unlimited room for career growth with support along the way
- The exciting opportunity to be part of building something extraordinary
- Competitive Salary
Your application has been successfully submitted.