VP of Engineering
Shara is building the operating system for accessing African retailers. They have developed a digital platform designed to help send receipts and invoices on SMS or WhatsApp, track who owes money, send free reminders and statements to clients. The company's platform sends free scheduled reminders, customized professional statements, and provides a free and secure wallet, enabling clients to organize and grow their businesses in a systematic manner.
About The Role
Shara is looking to hire a VP of Engineering to lead their development process and drive their tech strategy and architecture. You will get hands-on and produce excellent code. You will coordinate multiple teams to ensure Shara meets user expectations.
What do you need to be considered successful?
You will be responsible for directing the pace of work and ensuring best practices are followed in the development process. You will oversee the development and design of the Shara platform and also be responsible for the following:
- Supervise information technology and computer systems.
- Set clear development processes in place
- Track and lead the scrum / agile development process.
- Supervise and consult for the stability of the technology
- Develop the architecture of the technology and oversee its implementation
- Design, develop, implement and coordinate systems, policies, and procedures.
- Supervise and ensure the security of data, network access, and backup systems.
- Act in alignment with user needs and system functionality to contribute to organizational policy.
- Identify problematic areas and implement strategic solutions in time.
- Audit systems and assess their outcomes.
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to the Commercial IT team while also developing people from both functional skills and leadership perspectives.
- Build and integrate information systems to meet the company’s needs.
- Resolving technical problems as they arise.
- Providing supervision and guidance to development teams.
- Continually researching the current and emerging technologies and proposing changes where needed.
- Informing various stakeholders about any problems with the current technical solutions being implemented.
How Important are you to the bottom line?
Establish, communicate and implement the strategic direction of Shara’s engineering and develop policies and initiatives to ensure effective and consistent operations. You will also work closely with Product and the larger management team
Biggest problem-solving duties on the job
You will have to bring your leadership mettle and inspire engineers across different teams to consistently deliver excellent work that aligns with business and user needs. You will have the exciting opportunity of making strategic decisions that affect the growth of the product and development team in the long and short terms.
What do you need to have done in your career?
- 7+ years experience with ideation and innovation of excellent technology at scale, and passion for development and the use of cross-platform shared code
- 3+ years of experience building and managing multidisciplinary and distributed Engineering teams (developers, testers and technical leads) from 5 to 50+
- Strong technical foundations in front-end and back-end technologies.
- Ability to balance business needs, a sense of urgency, and shipping high-quality and pragmatic solutions.
- Ability to lead and collaborate with senior technical IC team members - empower ICs to determine technical architecture and plans, while also able to tie-break deadlock decisions when necessary, influence others, etc.
- Customer obsessed: working with product management to determine trade-offs in customer delivery vs. internal engineering initiatives, meets with customers, etc.
- Experienced in emerging technologies and best practices such as DevOps, Containerization, and Data Science
What Do you stand to Gain?
- A nearly unlimited room for career growth with support along the way
- The exciting opportunity to be part of building something extraordinary
- Competitive Salary
Your application has been successfully submitted.