Head of Insurance
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Casava is a licensed insurtech startup building the future of insurance. They are using technology and finance to improve the quality of life for minimum wages earners, by providing world-class affordable and accessible insurance.
Casava is the first and only insurance company in Nigeria providing an undeniably essential service — Employment Insurance. A much-needed safety net for millions of workers who are at risk of losing their most essential asset — their income.
About The Role
Casava is currently looking to hire a Head of Insurance who will build and direct the insurance and claims operations in alignment with the vision, goals, and objectives established by the Chief Executive Officer and the Board of Directors.
What do you need to be considered successful?
You will also be responsible for the following:
- Provide insurance expertise in strategic discussions around the structure, market, distribution strategy, operational strategy, and capital requirements for the Company
- Participate with the Group CEO and other senior leaders in the development and preparation of short-term and long-range plans and budgets based upon broad organization goals and objectives.
- Manage the development of insurance products and pricing, working closely with external actuarial, underwriting, and reinsurance partners.
- Own the relationship with their reinsurance partners.
- Work with their partners to support new products, pricing, value offerings, features and underwriting.
- Own the roadmap, vision, and execution of their insurance product development
Operations / Regulatory
- Be their ultimate authority on insurance questions from customers, partners, and regulators.
- Ensure that their content and messaging are compliant, and their internal teams are working with digestible guidelines.
- Help them manage compliance and build a formal compliance function.
- Work with their outside counsel to address regulatory and compliance questions and issues.
- Work with their carrier partners to streamline the claims process and provide input to the product team on how to reduce friction in the claims process and their loss ratio.
- Setup and manage underwriting and claims processes suitable for retail and other distribution channels and riding on automation through technology.
- Own the strategy for insurance at the operational level (e.g. cashback, claims management, capacity, structure).
- Develop their long-term strategy for buy vs build (e.g. handling claims, sharing upside/risk in their book, etc.).
How Important Are you to the bottom-line
As the Head of Insurance, you will be in charge of all insurance activities and ensure to produce an efficient service and delivery solution, maximising efficiency, performance and best value against pre-agreed targets
Biggest Problem-Solving duties on The Job
You should have an unrelentingly positive attitude – no job is too big, small, or odd. You will be totally focused on the mission and winning, and so will roll up your sleeves and do what needs to be done, whatever it is, whenever it’s needed.
What do you need to have done in your career?
- Experience working in a venture-backed startup or small company environment prized.
- Demonstrable track record of building admitted products and a strong command of the insurance product development and regulatory approval process.
- Direct underwriting responsibility for a large P&C commercial insurance book, ideally $100M+.
- You love creating amazing products and delighting customers, even if the industry has so far been holding you back.
- High clock speed – able to function in a high-intensity, dynamic environment. Highly adaptable.
- Exceptional oral, written, and presentation skills including the ability to communicate and simplify complex topics.
- Intimate understanding of the insurance product development process from conception to scale in the admitted market. Able to present a portfolio of projects/products you’ve created/conceived/built.
- Keen understanding of P&C insurance especially small commercial.
- 10+ years of progressive leadership experience in a senior underwriting role at a respected insurance company
- Strategic, tactical, and willing to be hands-on in building a world-class insurance function.
- Demonstrated experience hiring, mentoring, coaching, and retaining a high-performing team.
- Experience working with venture-backed startups or small company environments (desirable)
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Continued education, MBA or CIIN certification (strongly preferred)
What Do you stand to Gain?
- A nearly unlimited room for career growth with support along the way
- The exciting opportunity to be part of building something extraordinary
- Competitive Salary
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Insurance Made Simple