Head of Engineering
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Edukoya is Building Africa’s largest learning platform that offers personalized solutions to the educational needs of the continent regardless of Age and status. With their robust AI operating system, they are looking to bridge the gap and disparities in education and use technology to have a significant impact on educational equity. They are using data-driven AI technology to reach the next generation of students in Africa, helping learners reach their goals in the most efficient way.
About The Role
They are looking to hire a business-focused, entrepreneurial Engineering Lead to join Edukoya. In addition to shaping Edukoya’s technology vision, this engineering lead will be the bridge between business & technology.
What do you need to be considered successful?
To be successful as a technical lead, you should always be expanding your industry knowledge and be able to quickly identify problems. You will also be responsible for the following:
- Enhancing the technology strategy based on the overall business strategy
- Leading multiple projects end-to-end and collaborating across functions.
- Driving planning, estimation, and execution.
- Managing stakeholder expectations and offers scalable, reliable, and easy-to-maintain solutions.
- Consistent delivery of complex and well-backed products in time.
- Delivering well-thought technical/design decisions.
- Demonstrating effective communication with the project team, management, and internal/external clients as necessary.
- Surfacing both technical and non-technical challenges and help resolve them.
- Driving team to solve engineering challenges.
- Crafting & executing a well-designed solution architecture
- Product management & implementing the product roadmap
- Willing to diving deep into software development – strong back & front-end proficiency, as more coding might be required mainly at the beginning
- Setting up & managing the technology infrastructure & DevOps
- Building, managing, mentoring & leading a high-performance tech team
- Developing standards & procedures to ensure quality practices across the platform & for incoming teams.
- Conducting code reviews & ensure quality code output.
- Building quality assurance & managing feedback loops.
- Willing to collaborate with various internal & external stakeholders such as our strategic product partnerships and investors.
- Representing the business at various touchpoints.
How Important are you to the bottom-line?
As their first lead Engineer, you will play a key role in setting the direction on technology & product strategy in order to accomplish Edukoya’s short, medium & long-term goals. You will take a leading role in scaling the platform, hiring the engineering team, technical architecture & technical development.
Biggest problem-solving duties on the job
You will have to bring your leadership mettle and inspire engineers across different teams to consistently deliver excellent work that aligns with business and user needs. You will have the exciting opportunity of making strategic decisions that affect the growth of the product and development team in the long and short terms.
What do you need to have done in your career?
- At least 7 years of experience working with well-engineered software products with modern technologies.
- Thorough domain expertise in various technologies.
- Ability to adapt to changes quickly.
- Understanding of overall business fundamentals.
- Demonstrated track record of delivering well-engineered products with modern technologies for a variety of different problem domains.
- Experience building scalable B2C-based products across any of the top cloud platforms e.g., Azure, AWS, GCP, etc.
- Good working knowledge of API design (e.g., REST, OpenAPI, GraphQL).
- Strong experience in Reactive Programming, Asynchronous Programming, and Unit Testing.
- Understanding microservices architecture design paradigm.
- Knowledge & proficiency in the following development languages: NodeJS and Java (for building Android Native apps).
- Knowledge of a range of current cross-platform product development frameworks, such as React JS, React Native.
- Ability to create & implement a data strategy to enable analytics that enhance the business’s objectives.
- Knowledge of project management methodologies & strong with time management
- Strong understanding of integration & service orchestration strategies.
- Experience working in an agile environment & is able to constantly test, learn & iterate based on user feedback & prioritize features.
- Strong communication skills - you’ll be sharing the results of analyses & discussing technical problems with the team.
- Managing costs & budgets across the technology value streams
- Leadership skills, management skills & a great team player
- Relentlessly resourceful & creative problem solving
- High risk tolerance & boundless ambition
- A collaborative approach & willingness to be wrong
- Brilliant at bringing together people across functions, countries & cultures
- Passionate about users’ needs
- Driven by consistent iteration
What Do you stand to Gain?
- Opportunity to partner with the business founder & influence strategy as a technical leader of the business.
- Potential to participate in Edukoya’s employee share option program (ESOP).
- An exciting start-up environment where you can practice & harness your creativity & innovation.
- Opportunity to be part of a founding team of a high-potential start-up with global ambition.
Your application has been successfully submitted.