Backend Software Engineering Manager
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Motorcycle taxis are immensely popular and serve as the lifeblood of many cities in Africa, but they are extremely unsafe and disorganized. At the click of a button, SafeBoda provides a safe, more convenient, mobile-first transportation platform for Africa’s booming young population.
On the high-frequency use of our transportation service, SafeBoda is providing value to consumers, drivers, and passengers, with additional financial services, payments, and other on-demand services such as food and grocery delivery to keep Africa moving forward.
About the role
They are looking to hire a Backend Software Engineering Manager to manage their backend software systems. You will lead their development process and drive their tech strategy and architecture as you will get hands-on and produce excellent code. You will coordinate multiple teams to ensure SafeBoda meets user expectations.
What do you need to be considered successful?
In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Design, execute and maintain back end software engineering applications. This includes microservices, API’s, DevOps, and databases.
- Supervise training and development of back end software engineering staff.
- Ensure software deliverables are held up to the company standard through code reviews, and managing software quality assurance
- Assign work to back end software engineering personnel and manage their performance.
- Support to recruit engineering personnel, technical staffing and project teams formation.
- Supervise back end engineering deliverables.
- Manage continuing support and provide system metrics for back end technical stack.
- Present practical input for strategic technology decisions.
- Support preparation of Technology Roadmap.
- Comply with all tech, product departmental as well as company best practices.
- Help translation of business requirements into technical needs and actions.
- Supervise reporting responsibility for independent software contractors, software engineers and outsourcing partners.
- Ensure software engineering personnel is suitably trained to perform all job functions and suitably use project and software-related tools.
- Help determine and design system specifications & standards.
- Investigate, and analyze technology improvements, upgrades, and modifications.
- You will develop features across multiple subsystems including collaboration in requirements definition, prototyping, design, coding, testing, and deployment.
- You will design, develop, and unit test applications in accordance with established standards.
- You will analyze and resolve technical and application problems.
- You will assist with the packaging and support the deployment of releases.
How Important are you to the bottom-line?
You will supervise and lead a team of backend software engineers to deliver quality software and deploy it within the required time. You’d be a champion of excellence in code and ensure that the engineering team is motivated to do their best work.
The biggest problem-solving duties on the Job
You will have to bring your leadership mettle and inspire engineers in your team to consistently deliver excellent work that aligns with business and user needs. You will have the exciting opportunity of making strategic decisions that affect the growth of the product and development team in the long and short terms.
What do you need to have done in your career?
Desired Technical Skills
- 5 + years of software development experience
- Experience with functional programming a plus
- Vast knowledge for backend software programming languages such as Elixir, Node JS, and PHP
- Experience with working with SQL and NOSQL database technologies
- Demonstrated experience producing readable and testable code
- Have extensive experience working hands-on in an agile environment
- Cares about quality and know what it means to ship high-quality code
- Can identify, debug and resolve complex production issues
- Experience with distributed systems, architectural patterns/styles, and design patterns would be an advantage.
Desired Personal Skills
- Critical thought, analytical thinking and good communication skills
- Capacity to work with members of the team working in different countries
- Good organizational and time management abilities
- Great attention to detail and a results-driven approach
- Willing to go above and beyond; we would like someone who wants everything under control and wants to try all the different possibilities that can happen
- An attitude of accountability and knowledge-sharing. You enjoy reviewing others' code and sharing your knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Empathy, respect and a big sense of humour; we are people before engineers
- English communication skills
What do you stand to gain?
- Remote working
- A passionate, inspirational and aspirational team→ Teamwork is in their core values
- Grow yourself -At SafeBoda, learning is a habit. They empower people and want you to grow with them. Tell them the areas you wish to improve in and if it makes sense for the business, they’ll do what they can to help you do just that
- Flexible work hours - They’re pretty ﬂexible when it comes to managing workload and time. It’s about delivery!
- Be part of a passionate team that is changing the mobility landscape in Africa and it’s improving millions of lives
- Opportunity to travel to East Africa and interact with the product and their multi-cultural team
Your application has been successfully submitted.