Baotree is a first-in-kind SaaS business operating in the impact, conservation, agriculture & community development sectors. Baotree software supports the collection of data by any stakeholder in the field, in real-time, and with the confidence of accuracy. Organizations using the software can track their impact progress over time and optimize their operations. Lastly, they believe in the power of community – which is why their software, through mobile registration, includes communities in the projects that are meant for them.
Their business, team, sales and product roadmaps are as long as a blue whale. They’ve set ambitious goals, as they aim to (will) become the global operating system facilitating the relationship between nature & humanity.
About the role
They are looking to hire a Lead Developer to evolve their tech and grow into a CTO leadership role. You will be growing a company with a mission and purpose of changing the world and in doing so, become an industry leader and integral to their future, and the future of the planet. With years in product (web, mobile app, deployment) development, and ready to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty. You will join them in building a cutting-edge platform from early adoption, using the latest tech stacks.
They work both remotely and from their Nairobi office. For the shortlisted candidates, they will provide a system demo and workshop real-world problems that they, and their customers experience.
What do you need to be considered successful?
This is a multi-touch team role with high visibility. You will collaborate closely with the sales and product teams across Baotree to deliver key customer solutions and the technology to support them. You will also be responsible for the following:
- Lead development and implementation of the architecture for highly scalable, durable, low latency identity management systems.
- Build an effective and agile development organization using industry-leading best practices.
- Work with their COO to lead the definition of requirements, KPIs, priorities and planning of engineering deliverables.
- Assist in developing an internal product, technical and team processes for effective scaling of operations.
- Proactively identify potential roadblocks or performance/productivity concerns. Determine and execute strategy for resolution.
- Delivery focused, with a strong willingness to perform all tasks required to complete the job and meet deadlines.
- Mentor, lead and grow team members.
How Important are you to the bottom line?
As their first developer/engineer/technical lead, they need a generalist, as you will have a great responsibility towards guiding their product, tech department & business to a place of sustainability while helping manage Baotree’s exponential growth goals. You will have a leading impact on the continued development of a truly unique product, and you will own features from design through to production.
Biggest problem-solving duties on the job
You must be an experienced developer who has a can-do attitude and isn't afraid to dive into new and challenging technologies, as you will have the mandate of developing applications that will scale positive solutions for the planet and their people. You should also be relatively tech-stack agnostic, i.e. approach abstraction and ambiguity with an open mind, and a hunger for creativity & problem-solving.
What do you need to have done In your career?
- Understanding in high-level architecture
- Expertise in prototyping, building, and operating distributed systems & applications that can sustain rapid growth
- Technical leadership, experience in high performing, agile teams
- Drive problem-solving of ambiguity and abstraction across the company as it applies to product and tech
- Great communication skills to collaborate cross-group and work effectively within the team
- Expertise in any modern continuous delivery/deployment systems
- Share a deep passion for believing tech can be used as a force for good
- Experience with node.js
- Experience with react.js
- Experience with MySQL
- Experience with GraphQL
- Experience with AWS infrastructure
What Do you stand to Gain?
- A nearly unlimited room for career growth with support along the way.
- The exciting opportunity to be part of building something extraordinary.
- Competitive Salary.
Your application has been successfully submitted.