Senior Data Scientist
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Koa facilitates high volume savings while democratizing access to financial products for customers across Africa by encouraging smart financial behaviour and focusing on a passive savings approach that allows users to effortlessly grow their money. By focusing on technology, gamification and user experience, Koa aims to target millions of customers who were previously unable to access Financial Products.
About the role
They are looking for a self-starter and entrepreneurial Data Scientist to join our growing team. Your responsibility will include identifying key business insights that will help chart the course of their company, along with developing dashboards that their company will use in the coming months and years to track its performance.
The successful candidate should be able to show proactivity, thoughtfulness, and think beyond the box. This is a high-growth environment where adaptability and an affinity for chaos are required - we’re ultimately firefighters.
What do you need to be considered successful?
- Build and maintain internal tools for reporting purposes of all key metrics.
- In response to key issues the business is facing, write SQL queries to extract data from our databases then convert the data into actionable business insights
- Identify what questions we need to be asking and develop dashboards & other tools to help us answer them
- Ensure the accuracy of all data tools in use by the business
- Maintain and manage our data pool and data sources
- Manage the migration of our database management from Metabase to Google BigQuery/Datastudio
How important are you to the bottomline?
You will manage the data structure and interpret it into meaningful insights that will help Koa make informed decisions. You can potentially fit in as the Head of Data.
Biggest problem-solving duties on the job
You will have the daunting challenge of maintaining the data infrastructure in a healthy and highly available state. You will be building robust and scalable data systems that support Koa’s platform.
What do you need to have done in your career?
- 5-9 years of overall Data Science or Data Analytics experience
- Prior experience in Financial Services, Financial Technology or High-Growth Startups / Technology Companies preferred but not a requirement
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize competing tasks
- Strong Excel, SQL, Metabase, and DataStudio/BigQuery experience
- Highly self-aware of strengths and weaknesses and embraces failure as an opportunity for learning and growth
- Ability to cut through the noise and find the underlying story in the data, and ability to communicate that effectively to internal stakeholders at all levels including the CEO, COO, CTO, and Head of Ops
- Ability to visualize data in a manner that is easy for third parties to understand – familiarity with generating graphical representations of data in Metabase and DataStudio will be essential here, along with familiarity with visualizing and presenting data in Excel and PowerPoint
- An intuitive thinker who can marry the big picture with the details and apply a rational, data-driven approach to problem-solving
- FLEXIBILITY – They are an early-stage startup and things are constantly evolving
- Be emotionally intelligent, humble and excited to work within a team with a diverse set of experiences, backgrounds, and skills.
What do you stand to gain?
- Learn something new every day - whether it's about your line of work or the industry in general.
- Competitive compensation package.
- Opportunity to grow within the company.
Your application has been successfully submitted.