Chief Commercial Officer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Viathan Engineering Limited is a leading provider of captive and embedded power solutions in Nigeria with the goal to be Africa's preferred energy solutions company. They also distribute generated power to governmental, commercial and residential off-takers in the Lagos metropolis and across Nigeria, using natural gas as fuel.
About the role
Viathan Engineering is looking to hire a Chief Commercial Officer who pilot their commercial and revenue efforts. You will draft and execute strategies that lead to the closing of commercial opportunities, supervise customer engagement while providing leadership to subordinates across different job functions.
What do you need to be considered successful?
- Your success on the role will be measured across the multiple facets of the role which are Transaction Management: Coordination of all team activities involved with identifying, developing and closing commercial opportunities>
- Customer Engagement: Supporting the engagement of current and potential off-takers to address any concerns that may arise, and finalize both technical and commercial terms in the agreements on behalf of Viathan Engineering.
- Employee Supervision: Managing subordinates in their job functions and actively supporting the development of their professional capabilities to benefit the company
- Relationship Building: Fostering and leveraging social and professional networks aimed at improving deal sourcing, fundraising, information gathering, market analysis, etc
- Organization Building: Actively initiating and participating in activities geared towards building up the company’s capabilities and improving the company’ culture
You’ll also be responsible for the following:
Strategy & Leadership:
- Support the shared vision and act as a change agent by utilizing various change management techniques to enhance business process and operational excellence.
- Define and execute revenue and commercial strategy for the organization under the Management and Board-approved business objectives.
- Retain, secure, and grow revenues from target markets in a competitive decentralized utilities marketplace.
- Provide strategic direction and plans for the company with regard to all commercial functions including business development, commercial and customer experience.
- Represent the Company and develop relationships with industry regulators, government, institutional and business leaders.
- Maintain working relationships with governmental officials, senior management from industry-related partners, counterparts from the broader power and gas business community.
- Support the CEO, and other company executives on matters pertaining to marketing and customer activities, and ensure all functions are operating together effectively to achieve the corporate objectives and KPIs.
- Provide guidance in evaluating commercial projects
- Develop and maintain channel strategies for distribution, partnership, and sale of Viathan’s products across all customer verticals.
- Develop annual sales plans and projections per region and per market verticals.
- Develop annual marketing plans per region and per market verticals.
- Develop and manage Go-to-Market Strategy and work cross-functionally to define measurable objectives and key results for short- and long-range planning purposes, constantly reporting on metrics and driving transformation by leveraging data.
- Lead the development and implementation of pricing strategy for Viathan.
- Develop and execute a sales commission structure that drives performance towards exceeding corporate KPIs.
- Plan and coordinate the implementation of business plans and the penetration of new markets
- Develop a market feedback mechanism regarding competitive offerings, prospect needs and generate product development ideas.
- Monitor and review all documentation required for requests for proposals (RFPs).
- Build solid relationships with customers, vendors and distributors, as well as sales and marketing teams.
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of company offerings and expert industry knowledge to identify and exploit profitable business opportunities.
- Coordinate the research of emerging trends and recommend new product offerings to satisfy customers’ needs.
- Lead the development of a robust marketing strategy with an emphasis on building top-of-mind awareness and gaining significant market share.
- Build and maintain marketing planning functions of capacity and revenue forecasting, communicating with customers about financing options (working closely with Finance and financing partners), and identifying competitive intelligence that supports marketing, financial planning, and integrated resource planning (IRP) needs.
- Determine the omnichannel approach and identify the appropriate media mix and messaging to deliver marketing campaigns to existing and potential Viathan customers.
- Develop recurring direct sales-focused customer engagement with a strategic below-the-line marketing approach.
- Lead the development of a robust ROI-driven trade show and exhibition schedule.
- Build and operate state-of-the-art customer-centric customer experience processes to enhance interaction between customers and the organization.
- Develop and implement strategies to improve the net promoter score (NPS) of the business.
- Lead efforts to broaden the scope of market segments served by Viathan, creating marketing flexibility, and instilling responsive and timely delivery of Viathan’s products and services.
- Develop collaborative working relationships within the organization in pursuit of the overall business goals.
How important are you to the bottom line?
You will lead the Commercial team in developing feasible sales goals and strategies that ensure Viathan maintains viable relationships with existing clients and has a pipeline of prospective clients. You are the linchpin of Viathan’s commercial growth and will have to perform strategic and supervisory functions to ensure goals are met.
The biggest problem-solving duties on the job
You will oversee quite a number of growth and maintenance initiatives on the commercial, marketing and customer experience sides and as such you would have the daunting but exciting challenge of transforming strategies you’ve planned out into tangible results that affect revenue goals.
What do you need to have done In your career?
- At least 15 years work experience in a commercial role, with at least 5 being at senior management level.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field, an MBA is an advantage.
- Additional education may include specialized training, professional certifications, workshops, and seminars relevant to the industry.
- Excellent understanding of the utility industry and experience in evaluating and implementing integrated energy solutions to customers. Solid understanding of the decentralized utilities and natural gas (CNG, LNG, PNG, LPG) marketplace.
- Prior experience in managing the sales organization
- Strong technical solution selling skills with strong marketing, sales, key account management, channel, and business development skills
Financial acumen: Strong financial acumen and managing organizational P&L. Ability to generate revenue tied to specific P&L objectives while concurrently building business model maturity and capability.
Strategic acumen: Ability to formulate flexible and adaptable strategies to achieve organizational goals by understanding the organization's capabilities and external market conditions, the regulatory environment, and technological advancements. Strategic design capabilities towards short- mid-and long-term strategies/programs that are scalable and efficient.
Leadership: Ability to maintain a work environment and develop staff actions and activities with a focus on the future, along with a sense of urgency towards current business activities that should align with the anticipated future business climate.
Emergency management and business continuity: Ability to make decisions and develop innovative approaches to deal with frequent change or unexpected events.
Stakeholder management: Ability to develop relationships with regulatory, government and business leaders. Seasoned experience influencing internal and external stakeholders with skill and diplomacy.
Execution: Ability to manage and allocate financial and people resources to execute operational and business plans.
Risk management and internal controls: Advanced understanding of risk management principles that are related to developing and executing customer-facing strategies. Understanding of critical internal controls needed to comply with regulatory standards.
Customer focus: Ability to determine the strategic business direction to best meet customers’ evolving needs. Core focus on continued service excellence by evaluating and analyzing departmental decisions that impact customer advocacy.
- A visionary with a positive outlook on life.
- A person of good judgment, tact, and diplomacy.
- Strong quantitative analysis, problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Collaborative mindset and entrepreneurial/intrapreneurial spirit.
- Able to deliver on set objectives while operating on some occasions in stressful situations.
- Able to deal with shifting priorities and issues inherent to a high-growth organization.
- Excellent networking skills.
- High proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent communicator – both in written and oral presentations
- A person of influence – can convey and concretize thoughts, ideas, and opinions aligned to the philosophy and brand of Viathan.
What do you stand to gain?
- Competitive remuneration
- Contribute to providing power solutions to the underserved
Your application has been successfully submitted.