Head Of Engineering
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Early-stage startups face tough decisions every day about how to allocate scarce talent and capital. Investors are challenged by the lack of information and expertise in underserved markets. . Pariti is bridging the gap between investors and startups by creating a community-led marketplace for entrepreneurs in emerging markets.
They are on a mission to develop underserved startup ecosystems. They do this by empowering businesses with tools and expertise and providing expert freelancers with a platform to develop their careers. Their focus is on early-stage startup entrepreneurs in Africa, Non-Africa-based angel investors who are interested in investing in Africa, and African Operators who want to become Angel Investors.
About The Role
They are looking to hire a Head of Engineering who is driven, smart, and just as willing to drive their tech strategy and architecture as you will get hands-on and produce excellent code. Ultimately you will need to build a team of software engineers around you as the business expands.
What do you need to be considered successful?
They've got foundational tools in place, but you would be joining early enough to influence every part of their architecture as they go forward. They also want you to contribute to the collaborative and fun company atmosphere. Some of what you’ll be responsible for are as follows:
- Process high volumes of qualitative and quantitative data about startups, and present this complexity in a manageable form
- Define & manage the full software development lifecycle including application architecture design, testing, and production.
- Create interfaces that enable users to navigate high volumes of data efficiently
- Lead the product team’s relationship with engineering and inspiring developers with the resulting product vision, while managing expectations upwards and downwards
- Grow a lean team of engineers or subcontract development responsibility according to your own strategic plan
- Work with the team to agree to a clear set of agile and engineering practices, and promote them with technical mentoring
- Manage distributed talent all over the world, maintaining visibility and quality control
How Important are you to the bottom line?
As the Head of Engineering, you will lead multiple engineering teams developing and executing ideas and strategies that will gear Pariti towards substantial growth, and also ensure the implementation of such goals.
The biggest problem-solving duties on the Job
This is a leadership-oriented role and your ability to inspire people across teams to deliver and execute quality solutions timeously will be tested on this role.
What do you need to have done in your career?
- A track record of creating flexible, extensible web products
- Commercial experience with any or all of Python 3, Django, Angular 9, GraphQL, and AWS
- Experience in managing complex data models
- A deep understanding of security, permissions, and data best practices
- Ability to come up with simple and elegant solutions
- An unparalleled passion for lifelong learning & doing
- Adaptability, willingness to take on tasks in a startup context that are outside of your defined role
- Direct, clear communication and speak up attitude
- Ability to work independently in a remote-first company with lots of ambiguity
What do you stand to gain?
- Competitive salary & an equity package
- A chance to work with thousands of startups & global investors
- A seat in the founding team & an opportunity to set the vision
- Unlimited paid time off
- A remote-first environment
What you May “not’ love
- They are a small team (~5 people), so if you like more established companies, this role isn’t for you. You’ll help create their company’s culture.
- They are an early-stage startup. Priorities will shift and plans are made based on experiments. And they move really fast.
- Everyone on the team is extremely mission-driven and works incredibly hard to push towards their lofty ambitions. Most people won’t be cut out for it.
- You should be comfortable with a dash of chaos. This is not the kind of job where you will be told what to do every day.
Your application has been successfully submitted.